Travel is full of twists and turns to keep the adventure fresh. Sometimes, these twists turn right back to your terminal—delayed and cancelled flights are a reality that will change only when humans control the weather.
Until that day, you may find yourself stuck at the airport with some time to kill. Fantastic! Try these:
- Try on every neck pillow you can find. Refer to them only as “nillows” and correct anyone who says otherwise, even if they don’t say it out loud, but look like they might.
- Flip to a random page in Cosmopolitan and read aloud in your best Shakespearean stage voice.
- Start a high-five line between moving walkways.
- Go to the store with expensive purses and ask how often someone goes to the airport to buy a purse. Report back to us.
- Find a legal way into the First Class lounge. Chat up a guy in a suit and ask if he ever feels lonely like George Clooney in Up in the Air.
- Try a restaurant at the food court that you normally wouldn’t be caught dead in.
- Treat yo’self to a massage and/or manicure.
- Pick up a guidebook for a country you aren’t visiting. Learn how to bring diplomatic peace in their native tongue.
- Watch Netflix. You’re stuck inside—binge, guilt-free.
- People-watch. Pretend that every 6th person you see wants to fight. Calculate your odds. Do not actually fight.
- Do planks. Get abs of steel. Repeat.
- Keep people-watching. Contemplate a future where every 12th person is your spouse.
- Airports have bars.
- Walk around with your phone charger and ask strangers if they brought an outlet.
- Ask for a first-class upgrade. Why not? It’s worth a shot.
Most importantly, make sure you stay updated on your flight’s status. Should a stroke of luck strike and your plane depart earlier, you won’t want to have wandered too far.