Whether you’re traveling abroad for the first or 100th time, packing, planning and assimilating to culture are always a tad stressful. These 11 little hacks are here to make your life easier.
1. Thinking about bringing two suitcases? Stop that. You’ll thank yourself almost immediately when you’re free from lugging around a ton of bags.
2. Talk to the locals. They’re pretty cool and probably have suggestions and tips you can’t find in any guide book.
3. Google is your best travel friend! Search your destination’s weather, customs and etiquette before you accidentally offend an entire nation.
4. Everyone loves a good throwback, but unless you’re going full-hipster, leave the traveler’s checks at home. Instead, use your debit card at ATMs for the best exchange rates.
5. Bring a camera. This may go without saying, but you are going to have some holy $#*@ moments you’ll want to capture. Invest in a waterproof phone case to photograph any aquatic adventures….or if you drop your phone in the toilet.
6. Put dryer sheets in your suitcase to reduce static and make your clothes smell awesome. This will also prevent you from being the smelly kid on the trip. You’re welcome.
7. The ultimate pro packing tip is to roll your clothes instead of folding to maximize packing space. Plus, it reduces wrinkles.
8. Knots in headphones are the bane of everyone’s existence. Store headphones, chargers and other cords in a glasses case to keep from getting tangled.
9. Save moo-lah—and the world—by packing a refillable water bottle rather than buying a new one every time you’re thirsty.
10. Not a bajillionaire? Turn off data roaming before you go to avoid an expensive phone bill. You can still use WiFi on airplane mode; if you’re out of WiFi range, you shouldn’t be on your phone to begin with.
11. Bring a set of ear plugs. Your roomie might snore, you may be seated next to a crying baby on the flight or you may just want to zone out. These little guys are your ticket to serenity.
Want to put these tips to use? Find your adventure here.